Skip to main content

China bars children from practicing Christianity

China bars children from practicing Christianity

At least four regional governments across China has issued a notices that children should be restricted from joining Christian groups and attending religious activities.
The ban which includes turning children away from churches even if they attend with their parents and teachers. Additionally, the ban includes promises that officials will launch investigations into both government approved churches and underground congregations who operate outside the tightly controlled official Beijing-run Catholic and Protestant churches.
The latest move comes as part of a concerted crackdown on religion that began with a three-year cross removal campaign in the Christian stronghold province of Zhejiang. The state's move against religions became official last year when Chinese leader Xi Jinping instituted formal plans to "sinicize" religion with the intention of bringing more religious followers under the control of the ruling Communist Party, which itself is officially atheist and forbids members from practicing.
"An emergency notice from the higher authorities strictly forbids all secondary and primary school teachers, students and toddlers to join Catholic or Protestant churches," the school district of Yonglin in Wenzhou, eastern Zhejiang, said in a note to all primary schools, adult educational institutes and kindergartens.
Maria, a Catholic laywoman in the district who identified herself by her baptismal name, told ucanews.com that about a week ago her daughter's teacher sent an audio and written message to the parents' chat group "asking us not to bring children to the church."
The teacher indicated the education bureau issued that instruction while adding that an inspection team would launch open and undercover investigations on Sundays to find out how many children went to the church.
On Aug. 12, the local street committee office also sent officials to churches to persuade parents not to take their children there. However, Maria said, there were still many children participating in the procession for the feast of the Assumption of Mary, one of the four most important feasts for the China Church, on Aug. 15.
In another incident, a church-run summer camp that two Protestant classmates of her niece attended, was eventually disbanded and all participants sent home, Maria said.
"The move by the authorities is unnecessary. Even if they are not allowed to go to church, we parents can pass on our religious belief to our kids at home," Maria said while admitting that recent events had her concerned.
Ouhai district in Wenzhou also issued a similar notice that children were not allowed to attend churches. "Minors receiving religious education and formation too early in churches would seriously affect the normal implementation of the education system," the notice said.
A parallel situation was reported in Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region in northern China. Maria was told by a friend there that religious officials banned a summer camp run by the Catholic Church in Wuhai, Bameng Diocese.
"A woman official asked laypeople about the summer camp there without revealing her identity but she said she would like her son to join it. The Catholics did not know it was a trap and told her all the details," said Maria.
"Religious officials then questioned the priest. The priest initially denied it but after officials revealed what they knew, he was forced to disband the camp," she said


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Perpetrators of Flogged Anambra Woman bags 9yrs imprisonment

Perpetrators of Flogged Anambra Woman bags 9yrs imprisonment At least husband and wife, Ifeanyi Azota and Azotani Toochukwu and their family friend, Ogochukwu Nwankwo have been sentenced to prison for assaulting a woman, Okafor Ogochukwu, at Ezimezi village in Amawbia state. While the husband bagged 16 months imprisonment with a fine of N200,000, the wife and her friend bagged nine (9) years imprisonment each, conspiracy, blackmail, deprivation of liberty and assault occassioning harm. Recall that, a statement by SP Haruna Mohammed PPRO of Anambra State   Police Command, stated that: “On the 21/3/2019 at about 2:40pm, one Okafor Ogochukwu ‘F’ of Osile Village Ogidi reported at Central Police Station Awka that on 19/03/2019 at about 11:36am, she was invited by her male facebook friend one Ifeanyi Azota ‘m’ to his house at Ezimezi village in Amawbia. All of a Sudden a woman who claimed to be his wife namely Azotani Toochukwu ‘f’ suddenly appeared into the house with he...

MEET THE OLDEST PRISONER IN THE WORLD THAT SAID HE IS NOT GUILTY

MEET THE OLDEST PRISONER IN THE WORLD THAT SAID HE IS NOT GUILTY After serving 63 years for a crime he claims he did not commit, a Pennsylvania man is turning down the opportunity to be paroled from prison on principle. He claims he is innocent and should never have been convicted in the first place. Convicted for the 1953 murders of two people at the age of 15, the man has maintained his innocence for more than half a century. You have to hear his story. Seventy nine year old Joseph Ligon, was fifteen years old when he was tried and convicted for the stabbing deaths of Charles Pitts and Jackson Hamm. Five other youths were also charged. The deaths were the result of a gang brawl. Developmentally disabled, he admitted he had been part of the melee, but did not stab the two youths who were killed, and he has maintained his innocence throughout his ordeal. All of the other defendants in the case have either passed away or have been released from prison already. In 2010, Ligon spoke...

Sad: See what Buhari said about Rivers/Kaduna

  Read full text: STATE HOUSE PRESS RELEASE PRESIDENT BUHARI CONDEMNS NEW YEAR KILLINGS IN RIVERS AND KADUNA STATES President Muhammadu Buhari has expressed shock and outrage at reports of killings of innocent persons in Omoku, Rivers State and the traditional ruler, the Etum Numana, Dr Gambo Makama, and his wife in Sango Local Government Area of Kaduna State in the New Year. The President, who described the incidents as “reprehensible and unacceptable,” directed law enforcement agencies in both states to intensify their current efforts in order to speedily bring the perpetrators to face the wrath of the law. “I have always maintained that nothing justifies the taking of the life of an innocent person,” he said, adding that “people in our communities must learn to live peacefully.” President Buhari appealed to the communities affected not to embark on reprisal attacks, but allow the security agencies to carry out comprehensive investigations to properly punish the culprits. He comm...