Skip to main content

INEC says it will continue to conduct rerun in Rivers if...

The Independent National Electoral Commision (INEC) has said it will continue to conduct rerun in Rivers State if politicians fails to support the commission in creating peaceful environment.
 Mr. Iniedi Ikoiwak Abasi, state Resident Electoral Commissioner, made it known on Tuesday the 14th of June, 2016  in a consultative meeting with management and critical stakeholders at the Police Officers Mess, port harcort.
The commissioner in giving his reasons said, the major set back that had led to the suspension of election in some parts of the state during March 19th rerun election was as a result of some unlawful practices by political gladiators who wanted to stay at home and cook up results. He noted that it was thesame people wanting to snatch ballot boxes, just to create wrong signals in where they feel they will lose. In furthering his assertions, he said politicians in the previous elections were so confortable in wanting to do the INEC work for them by creating uncondusive environment. he pointed that even when guidelines were given partaining to where the racks will be kept, politicians were still following the racks the night to electioin day.
He however dismissed the claims about fake election materials stressing that nobody could prove him wrong by bringing what they term to be fake material up till date.
Mr. Ikoiwak also said the commission will fix a date for the rerun from now till July 31st 2016, stressing that it could only be done when the political parties and their followers agrees to conduct themselves in a peaceful manner. He said at a point, parents were withdrawing their children from partaking in the adhoc jobs in Rivers following the irregularities rocking the state. He further expressed dissattisfaction over the insecurity callengies that occured during the previous election and observed a minute silience for the victims that lost their lives.
Meanwhile, Mr. Ikoiwak urged politicians to desist from statements and actions that could lead to rancour stressing, that those were some of the issues that made the state not to have any senator representing them currently at the national level.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sad: See what Buhari said about Rivers/Kaduna

  Read full text: STATE HOUSE PRESS RELEASE PRESIDENT BUHARI CONDEMNS NEW YEAR KILLINGS IN RIVERS AND KADUNA STATES President Muhammadu Buhari has expressed shock and outrage at reports of killings of innocent persons in Omoku, Rivers State and the traditional ruler, the Etum Numana, Dr Gambo Makama, and his wife in Sango Local Government Area of Kaduna State in the New Year. The President, who described the incidents as “reprehensible and unacceptable,” directed law enforcement agencies in both states to intensify their current efforts in order to speedily bring the perpetrators to face the wrath of the law. “I have always maintained that nothing justifies the taking of the life of an innocent person,” he said, adding that “people in our communities must learn to live peacefully.” President Buhari appealed to the communities affected not to embark on reprisal attacks, but allow the security agencies to carry out comprehensive investigations to properly punish the culprits. He comm...

APC Ward Congress: Amaechi says materials were not hijacked... Calls on the general public to shun rumour mongers

The Minister of Transportation, Chibuike Rotimi  Amaechi, has said the planned All Progressives Congress, APC, Congresses in Rivers State will hold has scheduled in spite the rumours making the rounds in some section of the Media  that materials were hijacked and  compromised. The former governor made the assertion in Port Harcourt recently, while reacting to insinuations that materials meant for the congresses had been hijacked with the view of compromising the outcome in favour of a particular group of party loyalists. For your news and adverts, contact Newspointers.blogspot. com imaowaji135@gmail.com Call: 08159993540 Amaechi expressed surprise that someone could cook up such falsehood in order to cast doubts in the hearts of citizens and also heat up the political scene. Reiterating his stance for free and credible Congresses across the state, he opined that he is not in possession of any material relating to the planned Congresses because he is not a part...

Perpetrators of Flogged Anambra Woman bags 9yrs imprisonment

Perpetrators of Flogged Anambra Woman bags 9yrs imprisonment At least husband and wife, Ifeanyi Azota and Azotani Toochukwu and their family friend, Ogochukwu Nwankwo have been sentenced to prison for assaulting a woman, Okafor Ogochukwu, at Ezimezi village in Amawbia state. While the husband bagged 16 months imprisonment with a fine of N200,000, the wife and her friend bagged nine (9) years imprisonment each, conspiracy, blackmail, deprivation of liberty and assault occassioning harm. Recall that, a statement by SP Haruna Mohammed PPRO of Anambra State   Police Command, stated that: “On the 21/3/2019 at about 2:40pm, one Okafor Ogochukwu ‘F’ of Osile Village Ogidi reported at Central Police Station Awka that on 19/03/2019 at about 11:36am, she was invited by her male facebook friend one Ifeanyi Azota ‘m’ to his house at Ezimezi village in Amawbia. All of a Sudden a woman who claimed to be his wife namely Azotani Toochukwu ‘f’ suddenly appeared into the house with he...